Sundals are made of dried beans , which are a healthy snack on late evenings. They are prepared and distributed as prasadam or offerings to God , especially during Navaratri . These are tasty , nourishing and easy to prepare . Sundals can be used a side dish too alongwith rice .
- Mochai or Broad beans 2 cups
- Oil 1 tablespoon ( preferably Sesame oil)
- Mustard 2 teaspoon
- Green chillies 4 ( finely chopped ),
- Red chillies 2( broken into two )
- Ginger (grated or chopped fine) 1 teaspoon
- Asafoetida half a teaspoon
- Curry leaves few ( pinched into two )
- Coriander leaves chopped for garnish
- Salt one teaspoon or as required
- Lemon juice (optional) 1 to 2 tablespoons,
- Coconut (grated) one fourth of a cup.
- Soak the Mochai for eight hours .
- Pressure cook till soft but not mushy . Mostly, it takes three whistles to pressure cook mochai to soft .
- In a saute pan , or a small kadai , add oil and heat it. Add mustard , as it splutters , add the red and green chillies and saute .
- Add ginger ,asafoetida and curry leaves and stir for a minute.
- Add the cooked mochai ,salt and stir . Add the grated coconut , sprinkle lemon juice and mix again .
- Garnish with coriander leaves .
- You could add onions and other vegetables like grated carrots ,grated cucumber , chopped tomatoes etc, to make it as a salad , a lunch or dinner option.
- However one does’nt , add onions or garlic , if offered to God, as a prasadam , according to Hindu traditions.