The Greens are available in plenty, all seasons in most parts of India. Some special greens or keerai used extensively in Tamilian recipes are Arai Keerai, Siru keerai, Mulai keerai, Thandu keerai, Pasalai Keerai, Paruppu keerai, vellarai, agathi keerai etc. Various types of preparations are made from the greens in the form of masiyal, kootu, Puli kootu, etc. Given below is simple recipe made from mulai keerai(amaranth leaves).
Masiyal is a mushy preparation which is simple and loaded with goodness. The rich green colour is appetizing. They reduce body heat and mouth ulcers. Mostly Mulai Keerai and Arai keerai is used in making masiyal. They are sold in bunches in most Indian markets.
Recipe taken from Cook and See Part -1.
- Mulaikeerai (Amaranth Leaves ) or chauli
- Rice flour 1tsp
- Salt to taste
- Cooking soda (optional) a pinch
- Cumin seeds ½ teaspoon,
- Asafoetida ½ teaspoon,
- Oil 2 teaspoon,
- Mustard 1 teaspoon,
- Black gram dal 1 teaspoon,
- Dried Red chillies 2 to 3 numbers.
- Destalk the Amaranth leaves and remove the roots.
- Rinse them in plenty of water ,two to three times and drain.
- Take two cups of the leaves.
- Cook the leaves along with, cumin and salt in pressure cooker till one whistle or steam them in steamer, till soft. Cooking soda can be added if you want to retain the colour of the greens .
- When the greens are cooked well,blend them with a churner or a blender , to a smooth paste . Do not add any water to the masiyal,while blending.
- Add asafoetida powder , salt and rice flour, stir and cook for a minute or two.
- Heat a shallow pan, add oil, as it heats up , add mustard , blackgram dal and dried red chillies (broken into two ) .
- Season the masiyal .
- Serve with hot rice and vatha kuzhambu.