Lehyam , means a thick paste made from herbs, condiments and spices prescribed by Ayurveda. However , the Deepavali lehyam can be made with common ingredients . It has a jam like consistency.
This lehyam , is made in most Tamilian homes , before Deepavali. The sudden binge of sweets and savouries would make any stomach go topsy turvy.
Many homemakers make it as a part of deepavali sweets and savouries .
Usually, a teaspoon of the lehyam is swallowed after the early morning, customary Ganga snanam in most Tamilian homes.
It is said to be an antidote to oily fare and sweet binges indulged during the festival. If stored, at home it could be used, for mild digestion related issues.
For severe cases , one should consult one’s doctor.
Recipe from Cook and See Part 3
- Pepper corns 2tsp
- Cumin seeds 2 ½ tsp
- Coriander seeds 2 ½ tsp
- Ajwain omam or Caraway seeds 25 grams
- Thippili (kanda ) 10 to 12 sticks
- Chukku or Dried ginger ½ an inch
- Cardamom pods 2
- Ghee 50 grams
- Jaggery 90 grams .
- Roughly pound , all the ingredients, with a pestle or in a food processor .
- Soak all the above ingredients, in ½ cup water for 15 minutes . Drain .
- Grind to a smooth paste, using the same water used for soaking . Add two ladles of water, to the paste. Mix well to make a smooth paste.
- In a thick bottomed pan , Uruli or vessel, add ground paste, cook well in low heat till it becomes thick . Add jaggery (powdered ) and mix well.
- Add ghee little by little ,stir and cook . The paste will become thick and turn around the vessel as a single mass..
- Remove and cool.
- Bottle and keep in a cool place . It doesn’t get spoilt for a long time .
- Use a clean dry spoon , while removing the lehyam from the container .
- The above recipe makes nearly, one and half cups of the lehyam.
- The ground paste and the quantity of the jaggery should be of equal propotions